Wednesday, October 24, 2012

{FEATURED DESIGNER} Kiss My Patootie


It's safe to say I'm a big kid.  I know that people often say that they are big kids at heart but I think for me it's more than that.  When I see handmade toys and clothes that are meant for kids my heart does a little happy dance and I want to buy the toys, while I wish the clothing came in adult sizes.  There certainly is some amazing stuff for kids out there and adding to the amazing products meant for kids is BrisStyle member Kiss My Patootie.  Owned and run by Donna, Kiss My Patootie's wares are as adorable as the name itself.  And while I could probably get away with using one of her Monster Purses, I don't think I can squeeze myself into one of the small children's tees...  Here is Donna's story, I hope you have your cup of tea at the ready...  


How would you describe your work?
My creations are bright and colourful and make people smile. They bring out the inner child in people. The main thing I make is kids clothes, but I have a huge range for adults too, including clothing, hairclips, purses, handmade soap, painted glass, cushions and more. I am always trying to learn new skills and try to keep my range of creations growing.

How did your Etsy shop come into being?
I used to sell on ebay, but the costs were getting quite high, so I thought I’d try etsy. Since it is focused on handmade, I figured my clothes and gifts would fit right in.  Unfortunately my online sales have never been as good as selling through shops. 


Who or What inspires you?

My kids inspire me, I first started Kiss My Patootie when I became pregnant with my 1st child (he’s now 12). I found it hard to find kids clothes back then, especially for boys, that were unique and colourful. 


Do you ‘reduce, reuse, recycle’ as part of your creative process?  
Although all of the fabric I use is new, I do try and use recycled products when I can. My toy owls and cushions are all stuffed with polyester offcuts that I get from an air conditioning business, these would otherwise go to landfill. I also use all of my scrap fabric for small things like pockets on clothing. I try to reduce waste as much as possible.


Can you describe your studio / work area? 
As my family has grown, my work space has shrunk. I have gone from a whole sewing room to a small corner of my bedroom where I have my sewing table. My work storage space it pretty much spread out in every nook and cranny of my house, from under beds to the tops of every cupboard in my house. I cut all of my patterns on my lounge room floor and screen print on my kitchen table. Although it can be hectic and frustrating not having a set work space, at least every corner of my home is filled with creativity. 


What is your favorite thing in the shop at the moment?
My latest favourite thing that I have been making has to be my monster colouring in bags. They are made from corduroy and fit a colouring in book inside. On the front I have sewn on a monster with crayons for teeth. Very cute!

Do you have any other places that people can view/purchase your work? (
I only have a small range of my creations for sale online. The turnover in the shops that I sell to is quite fast, so I can’t seem to keep up with online sales as well. The shops I sell in are: Handmade Highstreet (Annerly), The Collective Store (Wynnum), Jolie (Brighton), Side Street Vintage (Bulimba), Park Lane in Pittsworth (Pittsworth) and Manna / Cool Shirts (West End).

No comments: