Saturday, April 13, 2013

Meet the Maker - BJohansen Creative


Hi there friends and welcome to another instalment in our 'Meet the Maker' series.  This week we're lucky enough to catch up with one of BrisStyle's newest members, Barry Johansen from BJohansen Creative.

How would you describe your work?
It's digital, I draw/paint on my iPad.

How did your Etsy shop come into being?
I am exploring Etsy, I am not sure if it is the right fit for me at the moment as I've only just started to explore how to connect with a great art/craft audience via Etsy.  It has generated a greater awareness of my work and I hope this continues as I bring more products online.


Who or what inspires you?
Henri Matisse.  If you were to look at my school art projects he's always been there.  Simplicity, colour and no complex interpretation.  Just seeing the world simply.

Do you 'reduce, reuse, recycle' as part of your creative process?
I work digitally and the big challenge is that I can have my art on literally anything!  I source recycled for for printing or sustainable forest or archival quality for prints.  It's not about throw away, it's about reuse and longevity.  I am hearing more and more that people are framing my postcards and that is just great to hear.

Can you describe your studio/work area?
My studio is an iPad and recently a laptop.  I create wherever I go.  I kinda feel guilty about that though, I'm not stuck in one spot to create.

What is your favourite thing to make?
I studied fashion!  Oh to get back to work and make and create with fabrics.  That being said I have so enjoyed reconnecting with the creative world via photography and drawing!


How did you decide on your business name?
Um, it's all about me, can't you tell?

Where do you hope to see your creative journey taking you in the next 12 months?
I would really love to see it take off here in Australia!  I've tested online and rest of the world has been responsive!  I want to get back to local now.


What is your favourite handmade item that you have bought?
I have a lot of hand made items, to say there is a favourite is hard.  My purchases of arts and crafts are based on the places I hava visted, a local connection in some way, I like to explore.  I've paintings from galleries, hand woven baskets and pottery that all have their own story to tell.  If I had to narrow it down it's between two pieces.  A natural fibre basket created by Joan Hogben (Adelaide) and a duck bowl made by Bernice West who I had the pleasure of talking to in the Alcove Art Shop in Box Hill, Melbourne.

Do you have any other places that people can view/purchase your work?
It's embarrassing.  I have a website but it's really needing an overhaul.  I am a Facebooker, my fan page is where everything is usually happening.  So in the digital world, I can be found at:

website:    barryjohansen.com
facebook:  facebook.com/barryjohansencreative
instagram: Barryj72

Thanks for sharing with us Barry, it was great getting a behind the scenes tour of your creative process!

xSam

No comments: