Monday, August 8, 2016

Makiko from Makis Art is Monday's Maker


Today we get to meet Maki the Maker. Maki is such a busy little bee with workshops and origami classes. It seems as if she is everywhere making paper cranes, flowers and even cute little animals. Let's find out what keeps her going in the creative world. 

Hi Maki and thank you for allowing us to get to know you a little bit more.


Can you tell us about your family, do you come from a creative family?

My grandmother was a very crafty lady, so she influenced me a lot. Whenever she would be making craft, I would be next to her watching and helping her. Specially she taught me lots of origami skills. She used to make many thousands of origami cranes after she couldn't walk around easily any more.


How would you describe your work, Maki?
My jewellery is a very Japanese take on traditional jewellery making. I use a lot of Japanese materials that are from Japan


How has your work evolved since you started?
As I have had more exposure to jewellery making, I have had more inspiration to create new designs and new types of jewellery items. One example of a process change for me is switching from wax coating to resin coating when treating my folded creations.

How did you start selling online?
I take online orders for my jewellery, but I haven't started my Etsy store yet. I plan to in the future if I have enough time. 

Who or what inspires you?

The look on people's faces when they see my creations gives me a really good feeling. They always give me nice comments on my jewellery creations. I also want to show and share with everyone what is possible with origami and crafts from different cultures.


Do you or what inspires you?
The look on people's faces when they see my creations gives me a really good feeling. 


Describe your workspace?
I always create in my home at a large table that is protected from wind for the resin coating process. 



What is your favourite thing to make?

My  crane brooches are very fun to make, as the patterns on the washi really stand out, plus they're easier to fold for me.

My crane earrings and other tiny parts are fun, but it takes a long time to make each piece.

My favourite things to make are new products! It's fun to think about new products and new designs. 


How did your business name come about? 
I wanted to keep it simple, so I wanted a name that had impact and which showed that I was involved in the making process of every item. 


And where do you see your creative journey taking you in the next 12 months. 
In the coming months I will have a new baby to take care of. I see that a lot of my work will be put into making my online store and selling online.
Stalls at markets will be a bit more difficult to manage, so I will pick and choose my preferred markets to attend. 

Do you have a top tip to others wanting to break into the creative market?
I think you should stick to your strengths, and try to create something that is unique and hard to find in other markets. Choose your target market, age group and budget that you want to share and sell to. 
It's also important to understand that your creations aren't for everyone, so focus on and listen to people who love your creations.
I think that it's also good to have a set of core products that people enjoy, and try to keep things interesting for them by developing and desig new products which can introduce new customers to your business.




Describe your typical creative day?
I work during the mornings and afternoons at outside school hours care, so I have a gap in the middle of the day to take advantage of.
Mostly I create things during this time period. When there is a market coming up I normally work late into the night (sometimes until midnight - 1am)  to make sure I've got enough products to display.




Do you have a favourite quote?

"there is always someone out there who will love your creations"





Do you like to listen to music or watch TV while you are making?
I always watch and listen to Japanese TV shows on Youtube while I am creating.





Do you have a favourite handmade item you
have bought?

I love my navy blue leather bracelet from myclectic and also my gold glitter earrings from Each to Own.
Where can we find you online?
I put photos of my creations on Facebook and my website.


Facebook: Maki’s Art

Website: www.makisart.com.au



How long have you been a member of BrisStyle?
I've been a BrisStyler for nearly 2 years,


And how did you find about BrisStyle?
I wore a necklace that I had made to a BrisStyle Twilight Market in 2014 and a stallholder there liked my handmade necklace and told me about the BrisStyle community, I joined soon after.





Why did you become a BrisStyle member?


I use to make as a hobby. I also use to make lots


of different types of jewellery, then my friends and family suggested it would be a good idea for me to try and sell these sorts of things at markets. This is the reason why I joined the community - they could help me get my products in front of the public.



Why do you craft, Maki?

I love making, creating and designing things. I like to think about new designs. Craft is so much fun for me.




No comments: