Monday, April 10, 2017

Megmakes

Hi Megan.

Were you creative as a child and do you come from a creative family?

I’ve never considered myself to be particularly creative, however when I think about it, I’m always attempting some sort of craft or renovation at some point! 

Both my grandmother and my aunt are incredibly creative and talented – perhaps some of their genes have been passed through!

How would you describe your work?

Fun, bright and bold!


How has your work evolved since you started?

I’m still quite new – I only started November 2016. So I’d say I’m still very much evolving. I can already see different patterns, colours and mediums used in such a short amount of time. 

I’m excited for the future!

How did you start selling on Etsy?

I created my Etsy page as an easier way for people to browse my items, previously I was receiving orders through Instagram and e-mail.


What inspires you?

Colour! 

I’m a huge fan of bright and bold colours. I also LOVE so many creative people on social media. 

I’m also inspired by a few clothing brands such as Gorman, known for their bold and funky prints, as well as Brisbane based designers Jericho Road Clothing.

Describe your workspace?

It used to be my coffee table! 

Luckily my husband has created me a studio from our spare bedroom with a standing work station and everything in arms reach. My back and physio are absolutely thanking me!

What is your favourite thing to make?

GIANT BRIGHT earrings!


How did your shop name come about?

My name is Meg! And I make, haha.

Where do you see your creative journey taking you in the next 12 months?

Hopefully I’ll be attending markets and being more involved with the BrisStyle community! Things have snowballed very quickly – so who knows where things may lead!

What’s your top tip to others wanting to break into the creative market?

Use social media and start connecting with others in your local community!

Describe your typical creative day?

It’s very chill – I think of MegMakes as my hobby rather than my small business, as I absolutely love creating. 

I’m still working full time in finance, so I’ll head into my studio after work (perhaps with a wine!) pop on a rotten show on Netflix (I’m currently a sucker for Pretty Litter Liars) in the background and start creating!

What is your favourite handmade item that you have bought?

I have so many! 

I adore my clutches from Tiff Manuell and my many earrings from Each To Own!

Where can we find you online?

https://www.instagram.com/meg.makes/

I have something in the works that’s due to be announced very very soon! So keep a look out!


How long have you been a member of BrisStyle?

I'm a Newbie.  Since December 2016

How did you find out about BrisStyle?

I follow a fair few crafters on Instagram that belong to this community, as well as attending many BrisStyle markets.

Why did you become a member?

I wanted to join this fabulous community and to be involved in the BrisStyle markets regularly.


Why do you craft?

I love it! It’s a fabulous outlet – and it results in fabulous accessories!

Thank you Megan, and I look forward to seeing you at the next BrisStyle market.

No comments: